Two weeks ago I got message from April Hannah, whom you might remember from an older podcast about her Path Documentary Series. She had been listening to some of my recent podcast episodes about dating, love, and relationships and reached out to me to relate some of her own ideas. April is a well read and experienced psychotherapist and holistic mental health practitioner that’s very familiar with helping people with their relationships. She proposed the idea of collaborating or doing a show about relationships and I loved the idea!
I told her I was reading The Truth: An Uncomfortable Book About Relationships by Neil Strauss and it turns out she was too! So we thought we should start our collaboration by talking about this amazing and controversial book about love, sex, monogamy, infidelity, polyamory, sex parties, orgies, and sex addiction therapy.
In the episode we start off by talking about Neil’s book The Truth **Spoiler Alert! Read it first if you don’t want to be spoiled** Then we transition into talking about sex and relationships in general. We cover a lot of ground and I plan on having on her on the show a few more times at least to dive deeper into these fascinating subjects!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Neil Strauss’s new book The Truth: An Uncomfortable Book About Relationships
- Monogomy or Polyamory and other lifestyles
- Sex parties, New Age Tantra orgies, swinging, and harems
- How our relationships with our parents affect our adult relationships
- Relationship therapy and sex addiction rehab
- Porn, infidelity, and cheating
- Attachment styles, anxious, secure, and avoidant
- Love addicts and love avoidants
- Fears of abandonment and fears of commitment
- Honoring the Masculine and Feminine in each of us
Links for this Episode
- Episode 9 of the Maker/Mistaker Podcast with April Hannah about her Path Documentary Series
- My original article about my feelings after reading The Truth
- The Truth book on Amazon
- Helen Fisher
- Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel
- Attached the book by Amir Levine
- Homecoming the book by John Bradshaw
- Opening Up by Tristan Taormino
- The Ethical Slut by Dossie Easton
About April Hannah
April Hannah, LMHC operates a wellness & psychotherapy office that serves people to achieve wellness for the mind, body and spirit. April Hannah offers a blend of traditional psychotherapy and energy practices to serve each individual’s needs. April A. Hannah, MS.Ed., LMHC is a New York State Licensed Mental Health Counselor, who provides services to individuals, couples, families and supervision to health professionals. Her approach to therapy blends holistic studies and cognitive behavioral techniques which are solution focused.