Just get started.
Those three words are often the solution to procrastination. It’s so simple, but so hard to do. Why? George and I had a really eye opening discussion about procrastination, and it’s cousin perfectionism.
I’ve been coaching clients on overcoming procrastination for a little over a month now and I’m already sensing some patterns that I also recognized in myself. We all put stuff off until tomorrow, but why?
We are avoiding something that’s uncomfortable. We are afraid of finishing something because of what people might say. We fear judgment, ridicule, or embarrassment. We fear our own success or making other people look small. We don’t give ourselves the priority in life and we end up doing nothing but obligations for other people instead of what we really desire. We are overwhelmed, disorganized, and stressed out and can’t find the time to start. We resist and we resist. We run out of willpower and we end up doing what feels good now instead of making progress on our goals.
George and I get into all of these issues and more. And since we all know the solution is “just get started” we know there’s more to it than that. A small bit of advice: Do something productive while you listen to this podcast!
- Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes
- Podcast Archive | RSS Feed
- Look us up in your favorite podcasting app. I like Pocket Casts.
- 00:00:40 Introductions and Updates
- 00:05:00 Coffee and sugar’s effects on us
- 00:10:35 What is procrastination?
- 00:14:12 Perfectionism and fear
- 00:20:35 Looking for external validation and approval
- 00:25:00 Identification with your work
- 00:29:00 The solution for perfectionism
- 00:33:00 A simple cleaning habit to cure perfectionism
- 00:37:00 When you’re not sure where to start
- 00:39:00 How to save your willpower
- 00:43:00 Become a person that likes to complete tasks
- 00:46:00 Just take action, don’t over think about it
- 00:54:00 Reward yourself for accomplishing tasks
- 00:57:00 Using your procrastination tendencies to your advantage
- 01:02:00 Acting on inspiration energy right away
- 01:05:45 Removing distractions as a cure for procrastination
- 01:11:45 Increase your self-esteem with small wins
- 01:13:30 Don’t use willpower to resist, but to create
- 01:19:30 Become a person with real personal power
- 01:24:20 Don’t start your day by procrastinating
- 01:27:00 Two elephant analogies
- 01:30:00 Resources and recommendations
- 01:37:00 Closing thoughts
Links and Resources for Overcoming Procrastination:
- Happiness Hypothesis
- Kill Procrastination goal on Coach.me
- Jeff’s thoughts on Killing Procrastination
- Grow Up: A Man’s Guide to Masculine Emotional Intelligence
- Truth, Love, and Power concept
- Jeff’s “No Coffee” detox
- iProcrastinate Podcast
- The War of Art
- Sean Was on curing perfectionism
- Are you a afraid of failure?
- Jessica Hische is a “procrastiworker”
- Execute book
- Newsfeed Eradicator for Chrome
- Stay Focused Chrome addon
- Locus of Control
- The 7 Secrets of the Prolific: The Definitive Guide to Overcoming Procrastination, Perfectionism, and Writer’s Block
- Hillary Rettig website
- The Power of Habit
- The Maker/Mistaker Habits podcast
- The Miracle Morning book
Rate the podcast on iTunes and leave us a comment about the show below!