I’m quite excited about this episode of the podcast. I talk with Leandra Vane, author of one of my favorite books Trophy Wife: Sexuality, Disability, Femininity. It might be one of my more “controversial” episodes because we talk openly about sex, porn, disability, kink, BDSM, sexual fantasies, open relationships, fear, shame, and shit. Leandra has a way about her that makes these subjects feel relatable and safe to talk about.
I loved her book. Here’s my five star review I just posted.
One of the best books I’ve read in a while. Such honest and intimate writing. It was so relatable and I found myself feeling inspired and hopeful for my own “sexual coming-of-age” in my 30s. We may not all have the same challenges, but are all “passing” in some form or another. Meaning, we try to fit into society and “be normal”, but are hiding our true selves underneath fear and shame. Leandra puts this struggle into such beautiful words. She doesn’t hold back and has the courage to talk about taboo subjects with such intelligence and vulnerability. I can’t recommend this book enough for anyone who is trying to be more authentic and true to themselves
Shameless Self Promo!
Topics covered in this episode:
- Having a disability
- Feeling different from everyone else
- Fear and shame around our bodies, sexuality, and kinks
- Femininity and “one of the guys”
- Shit… yes, shit.
- Bowel and bladder issues in dating
- BDSM and Kink
- Honesty and authenticity
- “Passing” as a “normal” or a socially acceptable person instead of being ourselves
- Pornography and “porn therapy”
- Erotica and fan fiction
- Devotees and disability fetishists
- Body Identity
- Sexual objectification
- Open relationships and polyamory
- Ethical Non Monogamy