I have an unbelievable story to share with you.
I had the chance to talk with the world-famous Samantha Hess, the affection-starved woman who divorced her husband to cuddle everyone she possibly could. She turned cuddling into her job, seriously. And then she got famous for it.
She claims to have spent nearly 75,000 minutes cuddling in the last 2.5 years and has been featured on the cover of the Wall Street Journal and America’s Got Talent. Through her greatest struggle, a touch-deprived marriage, she was able to find her purpose and offer her unique gift to the world.
It’s such a fun interview. She’s one of the most lively humans I’ve ever talked to.
“I was online and came across an article about a man giving away free hugs at a Saturday market. He was punked by another man offering Deluxe Hugs for $2. When I saw this my first thought was ‘I would pay someone to just hold me and make me feel loved without wanting anything more,’ and then it hit me that there had to be other people like me who go through moments when they just need a no strings attached hug. I decided that everyone deserved a place to go when these moments strike where they can feel like they matter without all the complications. “
Some gems from our conversation:
“No I can’t wait around for him. I have to choose happiness for me. I had to choose ME. Absolutely 100%, I was worth the risk.”
“You don’t have to be the best version of yourself to be worthy of love.”
“Why isn’t there a Starbucks for hugs?”
Topics Covered in this Episode
- How her cuddling skills landed her on America’s Got Talent
- Becoming world-famous for cuddling
- Making a living and changing the world one hug at a time
- Ending a 13 year relationship because of
- Dating after divorce – 100 dates in 3 months
- Abandonment issues
- Living with abundance without attachment
- Not depending on the “Happily Ever After”
- Loving and being happy RIGHT NOW
- There’s gotta be so many people out there hurting and lonely
- What about the “sexual” part that is bound to come up?
- Boundaries in cuddling and what you can’t do
- Cuddle certification program
- Healing the inner-child in all of us
- Staying positive and keeping shame and judgment out of the picture
- Focusing on personal growth and self acceptance
- How to get a job as a Professional Cuddler
- Embracing awkwardness as proof that you’re challenging yourself
- How do you scale the cuddling business?
- Finding your purpose through where you struggle the most
- Certified Cuddlers
- Samantha’s book Touch: The Power of Human Connection
- Samantha on Facebook and Twitter
- It’s not about the nail
Samantha Hess, owner of Cuddle Up To Me has established herself as the industry expert. In the last 2 years she has professionally cuddled more than 50,000 minutes, written a book, opened a 3,500 sq ft retail space, hired 3 employees, designed and ran the world’s first cuddling convention, and now she brings the only hands on certification program that will standardize the profession and legitimize the industry. Samantha Hess is on a mission to take over the world, one hug at a time!
Samantha recently released Touch: The Power of Human Connection. The book explores the science and psychology behind cuddling and offers detailed advice for improving intimacy. The book is available at http://cuddleuptome.com or Amazon.
How to Contact Her
Samantha can be reached by email at email@example.com, at the studio: 503-719-6203 (or 1-844-2CUDDLE), by cell phone: 503-703-6459 or on Skype under cuddleuptome.