There goes another year! I don’t really want to write this, but I should. I’ll regret it if I don’t! So, goodbye 2012 and welcome 2013. I’m going to try to remember all this stuff and I hope I don’t leave anything important out!
Notable happenings from 2012:
- I formed a new band called Campfire Conspiracy. It’s me, Matt Witt and Scott Mumaw. I play drums. You can find us on Facebook and Bandcamp. As of this writing we have no public material, we’ve only been a band for 2-3 months and we’re still writing songs and recording them. But we’re probably going to sound like high energy, catchy punk rock.
- I started taking piano lessons. As of now, I’ve had three lessons. It’s not something I really considered until the new band started and I wanted to write better songs. I’ve always been self-taught in music theory and songwriting and make music electronically since 2000. But I’ve had success taking lessons over the years with drums and breakdancing and I felt it’s the fastest way for me to learn.
- I got braces! Actually it’s a thing called 6 month smiles. They are clear braces. I got them at the end of June, I still have them on but they should be coming off soon! My teeth are definitely straighter.
- WMC Fest 2012 was great. Just watch this video and you’ll see. We had about 1,300 people attend this year and we overfilled the speaker auditorium forcing us to decide on a new venue this year. 2013 is shaping up to be another good fest, but I’m always worried about getting it done. With each new fest, there are new challenges to overcome. My most worrisome is budget – notably venue costs and finally being able to pay some of our core staff.
- I was on TV and NPR the same day I turned 30! This was crazy. I got to meet Kenny Crumpton after running into him at a local dive bar while we were planning WMC stuff. He then featured WMC Fest in his kickin it with Kenny show in the morning. Later that day I had to run off to the Ideacenter downtown at Playhouse Square to chat with Dee Perry on the Around Noon Show on NPR.
- Big changes with Go Media staff. We lost Adam Wagner to a sexy new job in San Francisco and Adam Law decided to move to Seattle to pursue his dreams. We also lost our project manager Heather Mariano because she is having a baby in 2013 and wants to take care of him full time while she pursues her own photography business. In response to all this, we’ve hired Bryan Garvin as a front end web developer, promoted Liz Hunt to Arsenal Product Manager, hired Sarah Traxler as our new PM, and Aaron Roberts as a junior designer to start in 2013. We also hired Jenny Kelley as our Account Services Director to build Go Media’s first dedicated sales team. All these changes are actually quite refreshing even though it sucks to lose friends.
- Bill got schooled. My business partner at Go Media attended an elite business development course at Yale from AIGA. He also did the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses course at Tri-C and really amped up his formal business training. This has actually helped him transition OUT of being a designer and more of a business person. Working ON Go Media instead of IN it. The biggest affect this has had is Bill had to write a serious 5 year growth plan. Something we’ve never done. He also assigned team members as “owners” of each of our properties (like WMC Fest, Arsenal, MockupEverything, etc) and each one was responsible for their own growth plan. And to help, each person has a dashboard of metrics they must track every month so we can gauge the success of our growth plans. It’s a lot of work to set up, but it’s been very helpful so far. I think it will be key to our growth in 2013.
- Kim got back into music. When my wife Kim and I got together, we shared a lot of similar music tastes. She turned me onto bands like Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Thursday, Bouncing Souls, The Promise Ring, etc. We made mix CDs for each other all the time and those songs define our moments together. But over the years she’s gradually fallen out of always being on top of music and discovering new bands. Even though I’ve always been into it. For awhile we didn’t have music in common much. But lately, she’s gotten really into Spotify and she’s been discovering bands left and right. She’s buying CDs again and we’ve been listening to music while we make dinner. We’ve never had music playing around the house before but now we do. It’s great! I’m excited that she’s excited. We even went to see New Found Glory play at Grog Shop for their Sticks and Stones 10 year anniversary tour. It was a lot of fun!
- Bands I saw live were The Menzingers, NFG, Light Years, Into it. Over it., Algernon Cadwallader, Blueprint, Ohio Sky, and more at WMC Fest.
- Made a Beastie Boys music video. Watch it! It’s a fan-video of me, my wife Kim, and her bro Greg. It was a blast.
- I learned the Windmill! This was one of my big goals for the year and I did it! Here’s a video.
- I got a new dance floor installed in my house. See video. I haven’t practiced on it much because I’ve been focusing on making music, but I will use it more in 2013.
- I danced at my first hip hop jam. Whew!
- I started breaking with Daisun Santana. I will be doing more of this in 2013.
- I went on vacation with Kim to North Carolina. We visited Asheville, went hiking, visited Chimney Rock and many waterfalls. We then spent a few days on the beach at Outer Banks! This was a good getaway but we had to do sooo much driving. If there’s one thing I learned, trying to do too many things in one vacation is exhausting. Next one we take, we want to simplify it.
- More speaking engagements: I spoke at Columbus Creative, WMC Fest 2012, the AAF Luncheon, Launch house, and Bad Girl Ventures. I also did some social media coaching for the BGV and some portfolio critiques at CSU.
Here is my top list for 2012[twocol_one]
Fav Movies and TV Shows
- Homeland (TV)
- Breaking Bad (TV)
- Dexter (TV)
- Disappeared (TV)
- Becoming Santa
- Pulling John
- The Antics Roadshow
- Freaky Eaters (TV)
- Solved (TV)
- My Strange Addiction (TV)
- Special When Lit: a Pinball Doc
- The American Scream
- The IT Crowd
- Indie Game: The Movie
- The Unloved
- Make Believe
- America in Primetime
- Last Days Here
- 30 for 30: Birth of Big Air
- The Woodmans
- Nat Geo: The Appalachian Trail
- A Horrible Way to Die
- Being Elmo
- Uncle Kent
- The Freebie
- Cold Weather
- Registered Sex Offender
- Adventures in Design
- Go Media Podcast
- Limited Resources (Magic)
- So Many Insane Plays (Magic)
- This American Life
- The Menzingers
- The Dopamines
- New Found Glory
- Taking Back Sunday
- The Story So Far
- Cloud Nothings
- Face to Face
- Crucial Dudes
- 88 Fingers Louie
- Yo La Tengo
- Save Your Breath
- La Dispute
- Title Fight
- Far from Finished
- Broadway Calls
- Dropkick Murphys
- Dan Padilla
- Hot Water Music
- Red City Radio
- Box Car Racer
- The Copyrights
- Punkin pie
Books I Read (listened) in 2012
Shameless Self Promo!
- Trust Me, I’m Lying
- The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle
- The Believing Brain
- Authentic Happiness (only partly)
- The Art of Battle (breakdancing book)
- Steal Like an Artist
Wow that was exhaustive, but fun looking at my history. Take it for what it is!
2013 is already here and I feel behind. I haven’t really thought about my goals at all.
- WMC Fest 2013 – getting more refined. First time all in one building. Should be another barnstormer!
- I am really excited about my new band. I’m taking music more seriously this year. Learning piano, studying music theory. In the end I’m writing punk songs, but I want to be able to do it better!
- I plan on taking two breakdance classes per week. One with Daisun and one with Swift Ali. Daisun just opened up his CityBreaks studio to group classes so I’m totally taking advantage of that. My goal this year is to just keep practicing. Nothing big.
- I want to go on another vacation with Kim. Someplace calm. Relaxing. Lazy.
- Hope to see Go Media see positive returns on all the hard work we did this year on systems, metrics, and growth plans.
- On the Map CLE is taking off and I think OTM 3 will be huge.