Some of you may have heard that I’m planning a Fest. Yes more than an idea at this point, it’s actually happening. I’m finally going to tell everyone about it and describe why I’m doing it.
What is this Fest all about?
The name is Weapons of Mass Creation Fest (inspired by the WMC Art Campaign event that we hosted at Go Media). It’s a two day weekend festival in Cleveland, Ohio that celebrates the art, film, music, and the DIY entrepreneurial spirit. Read More
Wow, 2008 was a hell of a year. So much happened! Here we go:
Notable happenings from 2008:
- Got married to Kim Woll! We’d been together since 2003 and tied the knot Sept. 27. We planned the wedding for over a year and it was stressful. But the Wedding went smoothly and was very memorable. Great photography by Z Media helps us remember. View my pics to see how they turned out.
- Honeymoon and first cruise! Kim and I cruised for 5 days in the Caribbean. We visited Key West, Cozumel, and Belize and also spent some time in Ft. Lauderdale where we basically were forced to stay in our hotel due to the rain.
- New Go Media HQ! We found the building in 2007 and all the hard work and preparation came to fruition in 2008 when we finally moved our office and staff to the new warehouse on 4507 Lorain Ave, Cleveland, OH. It was a big undertaking, buying the building (not renting), demolishing all 3 floors and renovating the top floor. Pete Maric designed our interior space and my partner Bill Beachy basically had to make the rest happen. Dealt with all the contactors and suffered all the headaches while the rest of us held down the fort and kept the money flowing into the Go Media. Now we’re comfortably in the new space and working hard to make 2009 awesome. View pics here.
- Economy sucks. We saw a big dip in our sales on both design services and Arsenal products. We doubled our staff, but the work just isn’t there. Fortunately, nobody got laid off and we still managed to earn a profit. 2009 is going to be better. Our staff is 1 year smarter and hardier. We will rock!
- I’m an Uncle! My new sister-in-law (Kim’s older sister Jen) got married and had a daughter named Addison. I don’t really “feel” like an uncle, but I guess I am technically! Hehe.
- Went the Fest 7 – which was a blast. Go Media was a happy sponsor again this year (we also sponsored in 2007. I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to design an official t-shirt and poster. T-shirts are all sold out but you can buy the poster here.
- By Bread Alone finally played a show! The band I started back in summer of 2007 (drums/some vocals) played our first show in November. We actually played in the first floor of the Go Media warehouse. It went pretty good. Go Media’s Katie Major and my wife Kim helped document the event with photos and video. If you want, you can listen to a song or two. Our goal in 2009 is to get a solid sounding demo – one that is listenable to other people besides us….
- Paid off my car… That’s great, it gives me about $300 extra dollars every month. However, Kim and I are going to buy a house in 2009, so there are already plans for that cash.
Here is my music top list for 2008.[twocol_one]
- Billy the Kid
- Grown Ups
- Career Girls
- Taxi to the Dark Side
- Paranoid Park
- Nuts in May
- Punk’s Not Dead
- Another State of Mind
- Home Sweet Home
- Jonestown: The Life of Peoples Temple
- 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
- Heavy Metal in Baghdad
- My Kid Could Paint That
- Abigail’s Party
- 2 Days in Paris
- Business of Being Born
- Heavy Metal Parking Lot
- Air Guitar Nation
- Planet Earth
- Great World of Sound
- Grey Gardens
- King of Kong
- Dance Party USA
- Eagle vs. Shark
- Quiet City
- Dog Days
- Wesley Willis: the Grand Daddy of Rock n Roll
- Off With Their Heads
- Punkin Pie
- Nasty Ponies
- Drunken Boat
- Dead Things
- Iron Chic
- Adam Wagner
- Good Luck
- Vietnam Werewolf
- Echoes of Harpers Ferry
- The Knockdown
- The Copyrights
- Tarantulas Attack
- Nana Grizol
- The Replacements
- Down in the Dumps
- Get Bent
- The Shaking Hands
- O Pioneers
So that’s it, whew. If you actually read all this, good for you. But hopefully, this will be useful to read in a few years. It’s always cool going back to look at your old recaps. I wish I did one last year!
2009 is shaping up to be a busy year already. Here are some things already planned on the calendar:
- Jeff Barton’s wedding (former college roommate and best man in my wedding)
- Dan Haylett’s wedding (long time friend since grade school)
- My sister’s wedding (going to Vegas)
- Chris Wilson’s wedding (fellow partner at Go Media)
- Hunting for a house and hopefully moving in
- Improvements at Go Media
- Demo for By Bread Alone
- Demo for Adam Wagner (fellow Go Media colleague and singer/songwriter I play drums for).
- Something else positive…
- More positive things….
What’s your list?
2006 was a great year. It had so many things happen that were not happening in 2005. Here’s a breakdown of some of the things.
- Joined the Go Media team.
- Worked one designs for Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, ICP, A Wilhelm Scream, and others.
- We hired Dave and Oliver.
- Had an office manager doing really awesome for us and then suddenly vanish into thin air.
- We also launched the Vector Packs which are doing very well and we’ll continue to make more for 2007.
- Launched Brent Simon into stardom. Well, what started as a new movie idea for me and Dan last winter break turned into a crazy internet phenomenon. We made a 30 minute documentary about Brent Simon and he played the synth (keyboard) and rocked out to Space Camp. That video spread all over the internet and he eventually performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live last November. We were on the news in the the newspaper, etc. Now he’s got an album and is starting to play shows across NE Ohio.
- Kim and I moved into our own apts. Kim and I were sharing our own apartment and sometime in June I decided I wanted to try living on my own. It was a rough moment in my relationship with Kim. It was hard at first, but we have since learned to live with it and make the best of it. And although I have enjoyed my “space” I can see lots of reasons why I miss living with Kim. And I’m ready to move back in with her when her lease is up. We’ll see what happens.
- Bought a nice car. I finally bought a nice car. It was a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. It cost $13k and had abot 100k miles on it when I got it. It is an awesome car and I love the fuel economy.
- Got in my first car accident. No sooner I get my new car, I get into an accident. I was slowing down for a slow moving vehicle to turn left. There was another car in front of me. We were all stopped and then I noticed the car in front of me manuvered itself over to the shoulder. I was confused and thought he wanted me to pass. So I went to pull out into the passing lane and was slammed into by a police car. He was trying to pass all of us and I never heard his siren. Our cars basically just rubbed sides and he was going about 45 mph. My front bumper flew off and my rear view mirror exploded. I was ok, not hurt at all. Just shocked. So when it was all said and done it was over $3,000 worth of damages and I got cited for “failing to yield to a public safety vehicle.” And my insurance went up. That sucked. I never saw it coming.
- Joined a Bowling League. We decided to form a Go Media bowling team. I got my first bowling ball and shoes and bag and all the goodies. My average is 160, but I’ve been bowling in the 180’s a lot lately.
Favorite Bands of 2006
- Set Your Goals
- The Advantage
- Strike Anywhere
- Bouncing Souls
- Brent Simon
- Mr Gnome
- 3 Inches of Blood
- Mose Giganticus
- The Loved Ones
- Street Dogs
- Against Me
Favorite Moves I saw this year
- Made in Britain
- The Firm
- The White Diamond
- Secrets and Lies
- This is Spinal Tap
- Fat Girl
- The Celebration
- The War Zone
- Tetsuo The Iron Man
- Fast Food Nation
Predictions for 2007
- I’ll see a bunch more movies.
- Listen to some more bands.
- Read some books (fast food nation, the long tail)
- Live with Kim again (I hope so)
- Brent will get more famous and finally make some money
- Vector Packs will become a large part of our business at Go Media
- Hire an office/sales manager at Go Media
- I will go to California to visit Dan Haylett
- Bowl my first 600 series
That’s about it. 2006 was a good year. I have a feeling 2007 will be good too. We’ll see!